Sunday, June 19, 2011

Summer @ D-Son

Hello, my lovely Richers!

So I'm already halfway through my summer job here on campus, which is absolutely insane. Where have the past five weeks gone? You've got me on that one. But summer at Davidson has been pretty nice thus far, I must say.

First, I lived in Rich after everyone but three or four people had left. It was incredibly depressing. Then I moved into Flowe and lived with roommates that I essentially never spoke to. But it was nice to live in an apartment, cook for myself, and just generally feel kind of like an adult (I know, crazy, right?) Then for the past two-ish weeks, I've been house-sitting for Professor Thornberry, who just retired from the PoliSci department. And on Tuesday, I will be moving into Dr. Christian's house from the Physics department (his nickname is Wolfie--totally adorable), and will be house-sitting for him for almost the rest of my summer here. There will be a few days at the end where I'm homeless, but I'm sure that will be... interesting. Haha.

So that's where I've been living, but what have I been DOING all summer? Good question. You're such an attentive blog reader. I've been working as a research assistant for Dr. Lewis in the English department. She's been working on a book about sports and Shakespeare. (Yeah, I know, it sounds weird. It is.) Basically, I've been reading Shakespeare plays and then doing the corresponding sports researching. Thus far, I've researched Joe Namath and Super Bowl III, Marion Jones, Jose Canseco and a bunch of other 'roided up baseball players, Lance Armstrong, Mickey Mantle, and, beginning now, Andre Agassi (whose autobiography is actually quite compelling!) I've also done some other random tasks for her, such as ordering library books (yay fun) and searching for an idea for her to start a blog around... She also recently revised an article she wrote about the culture of debutante balls, which I did some research for--actually pretty fascinating stuff. And she's also wanting to start an article about virtual role playing games (of sorts) like The Sims and Second Life, and how people want to become their characters (or avatars, or whatever), so I've been researching that. There are some crazies out there, let me tell you. So basically I've been learning about interesting stuff all summer and getting paid for it. Supa fly.

I've also been taking care of some animals. Of course there's JP, my darling husky, and Milky White, the best, most badass cow ever. But I've also been walking a (real) Siberian husky named Sasha for Dr. Bory in the dance department, and I'm currently watching Princess, Professor Thornberry's dog. Wolfie also has a dog, but I can't currently remember the name. I think it has something to do with a coffee, or a caffeinated beverage of some kind. Anyway, it's nice to have some animals to tend to. (After all, my name's not Noah for nothin'.)

Outside of work and animals, I generally chill at Lake Campus, read, Netflix (yes, that is a verb), or hang with the few people I know on campus this summer. Sometimes it's kind of boring, but I guess I should relish in that fact whilst I can. *sigh*

Well, that's all I've got. Hope you're all enjoying your summers!

<3 Christine

1 comment:

  1. Christine, please please please be a writer! Your dry wit and sarcasm are immensely entertaining. For that reason, I've now started stalking your blog (oh me...you know...stalker extraordinaire)...I visit it several times a day, whether out of boredom or obsession, I may never know. I MISS YOU. However, I will be heading back in 9 DAYS and will see you! YAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAY!

    ReplyDelete