I just enjoyed reading about everyone's adventures so far. They sound lovely and make me miss you even more!
I was one of the final 2 people living on 1st, and I may or may not have cried a little bit when I finally had to lock my door and leave. I wonder how many RA's check out tearfully nostalgic freshmen. Fortunately, my summer housing arrangement has worked out nicely. I moved into Ryburn 203 with Catherine Hare, Allen Rigby, and Julie Coursen, and I have since been enjoying abundant opportunities to cook, the luxury of multiple futons, and an air conditioning system that really works. My typical day consists of waking up, going to work from 8:30 to 5, working out, cooking dinner, watching TV/reading, and going to bed. Some might call it mundane, but I call it relaxing.
Since I am working in the Admissions Office all summer, you all probably have a good feel for my surroundings. Not much has changed-- the average high temperature lingers around 95 (not fun when simultaneously walking backwards and yelling), and apart from some minor exterior renovations on Belk, the campus looks the same. I would include photos, but I think most of you know what summertime in the South looks like by now.
This job has already taught me that office work will not be in my future, but I'm grateful for the experience and learn something new most days. Obviously, I have a lot of spare time, considering that I'm writing this blog entry from the office. Tours are always interesting and filled with insightful inquiries ("Isn't this a smart kid place?" "Do you like Coors Light?"). One of my favorite parts of tour guiding is the opportunity to share my love for Davidson with prospective students and their parents. Of course, I always spend more than the average amount of time gushing about residence life when I point to Rich!
Apart from spending long afternoons at Lake Campus or mornings at the Farmer's Market, I have had several chances to go home on the weekends. I finally got a car a couple of weeks ago and have enjoyed exploring this area and taking a few road trips. Last weekend, I was in San Antonio for my cousin's wedding, and I'm going to see Chicago (oh hey, Quincy) this Saturday at a theater in Western NC.
Campus isn't the same without y'all, and I can't wait for some more people to start trickling in for July Experience/Odyssey/etc. Continue to explore and grow, and I'll look forward to seeing you for Round 2 in the fall!
No comments:
Post a Comment