Wednesday, May 18, 2011

How windy the city can be

The Art Institute of Chicago (image taken from topshare.com)
So, in starting my second week away from Davidson, NC I would just like to mention that I've had one day off from work. I would complain, but making cash monies is one of my favorite things in the world. My summer has consisted of waking up, going to work, coming home, making dinner, stalking facebook for five minutes, then falling asleep to some random netflix film. I do work in this really cool place though. It's called Poster Plus. For those of you that know Chicago, or have been there once or twice, the store is right across the street from the art Institute of Chicago, which houses some of the world's most famous paintings (though it doesn't compare to the collection at the Met or Le Louvre) The store not only sells reproductions of some of the fine art pieces found there, but also sells vintage war, circus, aviation, music (the list goes on) posters dating all the way back to the early 19th century. We have an original Uncle Sam poster in mint condition. Though all of this sounds really cool, this summer I landed a job on the retail front, meaning I get to stand in this 2x2 box (see below for a picture of my work station) and listen to the many tourists ask directions to the nearest Pizza place. It's a shame I don't know any Spanish or German, but my Davidson education in French has sent about five travellers in the right directions.

The only real downside to this job (my parents work there, i've known all of the managers and the boss for years, and i've worked in the vintage department in past summers) is the fact that I can't wear flip-flops. This torments me. I was forced to go out and buy "real shoes". I got some toms. They should come in the mail any day now.

(And yes, the cow hanging from the ceiling is real life. My mom made it when I was 8 as a part of the city's Cow's on Parade program where 100 custom made cows decorated the city advertising local businesses, and sold the majority of the cows towards charitable causes)

The city however, has been very chilly. I come from 75 degrees and sunny to cloudy with a slight hope of hitting 50. This is my joke life. At least the store has revolving doors so the cold city air doesn't leak in.Our own Sarah Richardson has had personal interactions with these revolving doors on her trip to Chi-town in the winter.

2 comments:

  1. YOU BOUGHT TOMS! YOU BOUGHT TOMS! YOU BOUGHT TOMS! I AM SO PROUD OF YOU. good choice, my quincess... (how long has it been since I called you that?!)

    Cows on Parade came to Beaufort in 1999! That's super cool that your mom actually made one.

    Thanks for fillin' us in on yo lyfe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to say that revolving doors are much trickier than they appear and can be quite daunting for someone from a city that just uses the old-fashioned open-close doors.

    ReplyDelete